Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Thing 7b

I have to get better at checking my feeds. I had over 900 that hadn't been read. Wow, it took a long time to read them all! Seriously though, if you don't' keep up it does get out of hand. I did actually read two that were interesting. The first one really caught my eye because it was titled, Hey Leader, Tell Me Story. The gist was that if Hollywood were to make a movie of your school (or district, classroom, really) would it be a drama, comedy, hero's journey, inspirational tale or a tragedy. Very thought provoking. The author likens it to story elements. We have the power to write the script, choose the characters (to some degree) create the setting, etc. Her point was that people are driven by stories not data. It's when we hear the story of a teacher who moves mountains to get kids to improve, that we get motivated. Really good thinking. I hope it's true.

The second one was actually from the Star telegram covering the social studies TEK debacle. I was curious to see their coverage as opposed to the Dallas Morning News. Too depressing to really comment.

I do check my New York Times Best Sellers regularly. I love to see what is on it and whether I have read itor not.

No comments:

Post a Comment