Sunday, July 12, 2009

Thing 7a

The first feed that caught my eye and I read thoroughly was on the InfinfiteThinking Machine, titled Twitter 101. I know we are to join a social network and I'll talk more about that when the time comes; however Twitter has really bothered me. From what I had heard it was a place for celebrities and local weathermen to 'tweat' and tell the world what they were doing at any particular time. Frankly I don't care if someone just woke up or just finished working out, especailly someone that lives in a world thousands of miles from mine. So, when I saw this title I was intrigued. I have to admit, after reading this author I can see some potential. Lucy Gray, the author works at the Univerityof Chicago and is part of the team that develops Every Day Math. Since that is the math program we use in elementary I respect them Ms. Gray admits that there is mindless dribbler t, actually she said tweats. However, in addition to the mundane, what about the incredible ways the Iranians used it, she also speaks about how she uses it to search other educators in the math field. She uses it to stay in touch with people using their math program. I am still not 100% convinced it is the answer to everything but I can see possibly some uses.

The second feed was a hot topic and that was the Secretary of Education speaking to the NEA on Obama's push for meirt pay. It was actually a podcast. Secretary Duncan explained to the NEA that it was time for them to endorse merit pay. One can only imagine the comments that unsued. The problem is that we do need a fair way to evaluate teachers. As Duncan stated Republicans and Democrats are behind this. Obama wants to extend the voucher program (which in itself is problematic) add charter schools and address merit pay for teachers. It's coming. Like technology we can understand it and use it in constructive ways or we can keep our heads in the sand and wring our hands.

Secretary Duncan does state that it should not be tied to a single test score. (Thankfully) But we do need a system in place where we are held accountable. Before the boos start, a system that also takes into account the issues with which children come to school. However, the answer isn't to say we don't want merit pay, but let us tell some of the stories of our kids. How can we help them so they can pass a test. Let's use this time to educate our leaders as to what goes on. If we just gripe, say it's not fair, and not offer any insight, then can we really complain?

No comments:

Post a Comment