Monday, July 13, 2009

Thing 14

I have heard about wikis for a year now ( I am sure they have been around for a while but remember I just joined Facebook!) They are an incredible tool that we should be using in the classroom. I enjoyed visiting the 1001 Flat World Stories. Wow, talk about connecting around the world. I liked the fact that not only did they share, add to stories but I loved the running clocks to show the time in Hawaii, Seoul and Colorado.

The Code Blue wiki was very well put together. I loved how they added the feature of actual patients with different problems. I can see how students would love to work on that. It was very thorough.

My least favorite was the K Counting Book. I am not sure what I was expecting but not that. I didn't think the pictures were good and in some it was hard to really tell what number was being represented. I should go easy as I haven't created one yet. Mine may look very similar.

I actually joined wiki, Primary Math The homepage was good but what was phenomenal were the links to teacher's blogs or wikis. One in particular, Kindergarten Tales, was outstanding. The teacher chronicled units of study they had done complete with videos, mosaics etc. It seemed she may have taken a class and really implemented. I want to use it as an example for teachers.

My absolute favorite was Go West. I think the teacher summed it up when she said, the excitement of the students never waned; they were eager to work on it at every opportunity. that's why we need to incorporate wikis and really all the tools into our teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment